Saturday, January 27, 2007

Too Cold for a Kiwi

January 20, 2007

Kiaora! (That's some of my Maori)

Well it has been cold lately, but not really much snow down here in Provo--much to Sister Thomas's relief. She gets pretty cold, but I've been trying to tough it out with just my sweater/blazer and scarf. I finally relented,however, and now I wear my raincoat in the morning and on the walk home at night. But it's not too bad. Congratulations to Emily and Odhiambo--I'm glad Peter finally has made an appearance. I hope that some day soon I will see pictures and learn his middle name. (ed. note: Peter Juma Odhiambo)

Things have been going well here. We've taught the thrid lesson in the TRC and then the first one again. The third lesson was a good experience because the volunteer actually acted like a real investigator and asked a lot of good questions which really made us think on our feet. Thursday's appointment was not as nice. We had prepared our lesson plan (teaching the opposite sections from the ones we taught the first time for Lesson 1) and questions for the people we were teaching in our scenario and got to the room to find two people. One guy decided himself that he would not be one of the people from our scenario but would be a member instead. He then proceeded to spend the entire time interrupting us and telling us what we needed to teach and what we didn't and completely rearranging our lesson. It was quite frustrating, but I think Sister Thomas and I rose to the occasion.

Mail here is funny. I seem to get three or four letters on one day and then nothing the rest of the week. It was rather funny because on Tuesday I got a note from Catherine about her adventures at the "Cowgirl" and she mentioned corndogs. And I thought that I would rather fancy a corndog. Then Amy wrote about the banana bread and I hadn't seen any here. But lo and behold that night the MTC cafeteria served both corndogs AND banana bread! It was much appreciated, so feel free to mention good food in all your letters.

I have had some interesting experiences in the RC (Referral Center). I've talked to a couple of African immigrants. Today a woman called and started off by asking me if I could answer some of her questions. We ended up talking for half an hour about tithing, about how wards can be families, I shared the Restoration and bore my testimony of Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. In fact, it was a pretty good day at the RC.

Sister Thomas is trying to teach me a Maori song. I'm an eager learner, but I'm afraid it is coming along slowly. I have a goal to get it all learned by Tuesday, and I hope it happens. But if it doesn't I guess that's one more reason to go visit her in New Zealand. Somehow or other I've become known as the Sister who sings in our district. I think its mostly because we always sing a capella in class and we start low because the Elders always start us off, plus I sing loud. I must have let their few comments go to my head, however, because I noticed I have not been singing all that well lately.

I suppose that is about it. I ship out bright and early Tuesday so please send future correspondence on to California. I don't know when I'll get to write again because I don't know when the P-day is out in the field.

Aroha,
Sister Sorensen

No comments: