Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Tales from Toy Story

Dear Family and Friends,

Here I have been in California for 10 weeks and I am sad to report that learning Californian by immersion simply does not seem to be working. In fact, I think I have only learned one Californian word but, English major that I am, I am too disdainful to actually use it. The progress is so lamentable that I have been forced to use my Danish. One of the members in Palo Cedro served his mission in Denmark--actually there is a whole story with intertwined Danish elements that led him to join the church in the first place--and so we enjoy snakker dansk med hinanden. I also taught Sister Rowlands a fair bit of Danish whilst we were tracting. I am sure that it is very handy for where she is now in Orangevale.

Well, if my Californian is languishing, then what am I getting out of this mission? So far quite tan forearms. Yes, I was sad to note at the end of last week that I already have quite a nice watch tan, which means that a farmers tan is beginning in full force. I can just imagine what a picture we sister missionaries are going to make this summer with varying levels of farmers tans showing when we moved from suit coats to 3/4 length sleeves, to short sleeves, and then when we don't have to wear knee hi's anymore and all have pasty legs.

There isn't really too much more to say about Palo Cedro. Just that as the city of London faintly reminded me of Hiyao Miyazaki's "Spirited Away", Palo Cedro reminds me of Toy Story. What from the Disney streets up in Shasta Forest Village, to the people "hiding" in the trees, Planet Burger, and finally Edna Nesbitt an older lady whom we visit (for those of you without memories like mine, Sally--Sid's sister--renames Buzz Lightyear Mrs. Nesbitt when she takes him one-armed into her tea party). I'm surprised that everybody doesn't see it. Oh, and I actually got all the way up to Shingletown proper last week. Not that there is all that much there to see. We may make it clear out to Viola this week. Something to look forward to in next week's "episode."

I greatly enjoyed Conference this weekend. It seemed that just about every talk was on a subject that one of the people we are teaching needed to hear, or that I myself needed to hear. Also a Happy Belated Birthday to Bonnie and Christopher. I really did remember you both on those days, I just keep forgetting to write you! Also, all of you who are clamoring to write me letters. This is just a friendly reminder that there are two weeks left in this transfer, so time your post accordingly.

Love,
Sister Sorensen

No comments: