Friday, July 11, 2008

Friendly Family Bonding

I recently noticed a trend in how my family has spent time together this summer. Now I know we are supposed to hold a formal Family Home Evening regularly--but sadly I put paid to that in my Middle School years--and so instead we have another thing which brings us together. I know, it is shocking, this mystery activity is none other than seasonal reality television! Two years ago my brother and I involved the whole family in watching "Project Runway", but the trend seems to have continued and branched out.

On Mondays there is "Legally Blonde The Musical: The Search for Elle Woods." Truthfully three of us began watching this to humor one of the original viewers, but it is oddly compelling. I think it is because it takes me back to my "theatre roots" (whatever those may be). Plus the bonus is we get to laugh at the ridiculous, over the top, melodramatic responses of the theatrical contestants. All in all it is thoroughly amusing.

Then Wednesday and Thursday we come together for "So You Think You Can Dance." I am not a dancer and I am fairly well assured that I never will be; on top of that I have a deep seeded dislike of contemporary dance and I used to have a healthy skepticism for hip hop. That my friends has changed--well not the dislike for contemporary dance. I was genuinely surprised by how interested I became in this show. And while it does seem to affirm that white boys aren't the best dancers since they have all been voted off at this point, I will continue to watch and enjoy. Also I loved the Bollywood dance that they did this week. I would also just like to note that the host of this show, Kat Deeley, comes second in my favorite reality show hosts. The first is Hiedi Klum as the host of Project Runway; I honestly do find her delightful.

Now these are our only steady shows--I can only divide my loyalty so far. But I have also been enjoying reviewing some old favorites since I've been "laid up." My Mom, my younger sister and I have been watching "Joan of Arcadia." Amber Tamblyn does such a good job of making her protagonist true to life. I could just watch this show again and again and again, and I probably will. I have also been enjoying the delightful bantering of that mother daughter duo. I do so love good banter.

No comments: