Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Something in the Water

Dear Family and Friends,

I have noticed a specific abnormality in a large percentage of the cats in our area. That is cats with 6 toes on their front feet. This makes it look like they have opposable thumbs, or mitten hands. While it is comical, it also seems strange. Of course I have considered that this may be the result of one specific cat getting around, but I've seen them up in the further reaches of our area as well--which minimizes that theory. So then I thought, hmmm, perhaps it is something in the water of the Greater State of Jefferson. Then finally I realized, that the cats must be evolving so as to better be able to deal with the very large dog population. Clearly that is the only logical answer.

In other news? I gave my first talk as a missionary last Sunday (not yesterday, the week before, but I forgot to tell you last week). The topic was the "Three Degrees of Glory" which seems odd. You'd think they'd have the missionaries talk about missionary work, no? Not the Palo Cedro ward. They pick one topic and every single speaker that entire month talks on it. Luckily I was one of the very first to do so (because of General Conference and then Fast Sunday), or what else would I have had to say? It is a pretty straight forward topic. I actually talked more about repentance and how it is possible for everyone to be able to reach the Celestial Kingdom and how the Plan of Salvation really is all about Heavenly Father's Love and hope. I think it went pretty well considering I had 4 days notice and next to nothing to work with (just whatever Ensigns we had in our apartment).

I've also been thinking about Amy's baby. Now the first three names of grand children in our family were all characters in French Kiss (Juliet is still available Amy). But then there came Peter. Despite my sly suggestions that he be named either John of Paul--as there is a Jean-Paul in the movie--Emily chose to name outside of that movie. Therefore I had to start thinking of names of people in movies/books with Peters. Here is what I came up with for the new Thomason: Wendy, Beatrix, and Hermione (or any other girl in Harry Potter, for instance Lavender, Parvati, Padma, Ginny, Bellatrix, Minerva . . .). I haven't had that much time to dwell, but it opens up new possibilities.

Last but not least, I have been working recently on developing greater patience. Even though I rather expected to be here this transfer I was still a tad frustrated when the transfer call finally came. But then that morning as we were doing Companion study the very first thing we read was the part in "Preach My Gospel" about Patience and as I was reading its like a little light turned on that this is something indeed which I can expand on. Things are going pretty well, I think I have become more patient. I'm also trying to be more humble and to have greater charity. What have I noticed? I have been much less fractious and been able to let more things just roll off my back this transfer. I hopefully I am also a better servant to the Lord this transfer.

Well that is it from me. I hope all is well with all of you out there!

Love,
Sister L. Sorensen

No comments: