Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Two Funerals and Nearly a Baptism

Dear Friends and Family,

Transfers have come and gone and not only am I still in Yuba, but I am still with Sister Howard! I was a little worried there at the end that either we would get split up (in which case I was probably the one moving) or that nothing would happen and it would feel anti-climactic. So instead President Perry sent us a third sister so that the Sutter Buttes and Buttes Vista wards could have just one more sister to fawn over. Isn't that crazy? I don't know how many times in the last 6 weeks I've heard about how these wards have NEVER had sister missionaries before--now they will have three!

We had a pretty good week. Our talks in Sacrament meeting went quite well--we were even able to get two of our investigators to church (finally) and some of the less actives we have been working with as well. I have to say that our talks complimented each other nicely. We were also able to start teaching 5 new people even if our OYMs were pretty low. My "excuse" is that people are hiding from the 108 degree temperatures. The nice thing about tracting in that heat? People first tell us that it is too hot to be doing such work, and then they offer us water even when they are not at all interested. We participated in my most interesting finding effort to date, we helped a ward member prepare 78 copies of the Book of Mormon with his late mother's testimony in it to hand out at her funeral on Friday morning and then handed them out. We also almost had a baptism when a 12 year-old girl the Elders in Citrus Heights were teaching moved up here the day before her baptism was scheduled, but President Perry decided to postpone it and interview her today due to her special circumstances. The second funeral you ask? One of the people the Elders were teaching died yesterday morning. So we may be going to that funeral as well, I don't really know.

Our Fourth was pretty uneventful. There weren't any fireworks around here because there was an accident at the fireworks last year which resulted in some teenage girl having to get her leg amputated. So instead we met up with the Elders at the church in the afternoon and played Soccer Volleyball which was surprisingly hard to get a hang of. I am afraid I was in no means any good, but I tried not to be too much of a hindrance to the Elders on my team who were quite good.

Talk to you next week.

Love,
Sister L. Sorensen

No comments: