Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Yuba's Finest

Dear Family and Friends,

Apparently I forgot to give my new companion a fair introduction. Now in addition to Sister Howard and I, the Sutter Buttes and Buttes Vista wards are being served by Sister Nielson of Orangeville, Utah. She is the youngest of three kids, went to Snow College studying something in the fine arts, and does not like milk.

Well this past week we had a busy week. We were able to teach a lot of lessons and leave a lot of good commitments with the people we are teaching. We were not, however, able to get any of them to church except for the little girl who is moving to Kentucky next week, so we were sad. I guess that is life as a missionary. Before I came on my mission I always heard about how missionaries would get discouraged when people kept slamming doors, but thus far the door slams and the many, many "Not interested" responses we get don't discourage me at all. What gets me, more in wonderment really than depression, is when we teach really good lessons where I can feel the spirit strongly and then the person declines to have us back again. It is hard to believe that they don't want more peace, answers, and understanding in their life.

Other exciting things this week? We stopped by the Heritage Fair at the Yuba Sutter mall briefly on Saturday to see if we could help the members who were running the Church's booth and not only did I get good homemade bread (though I did not try the Jalapeno jam) but I also ended up with my picture in yesterday's paper. So, you never know what is going to happen. It has also been exciting to see how one of the people we are teaching, a 15-year-old whose father is in the Spanish Branch, really start to progress. He had a hard time getting along with some of the Elders but has really opened up to us. He is still praying to know for himself, but we have high hopes.

Love,
Sister L. Sorensen

No comments: