Monday, October 29, 2007

Halloween in Lincoln

Dear Family and Friends,

I have to admit that today, I am exhausted! We spent from 10:30-4:30 Deep Cleaning our apartment. Elder Sorensen, do you do this in your mission too? I have to say that even with all that cleaning it isn't exactly spotless, but it is much better. I highly suspect they kept us in this apartment just long enough to get us to do this for them as at about 4:45 we got a call telling us we are moving in with a member sometime after the 31st (TBA soon I hope). That will make us the first Sisters in the mission to move into a member's home. That's kind of exciting. I do have to say I am looking forward to not having any more cleaning inspections. Though the Elder in charge of housing told us our new "landlord" is naturally a very fastidiously clean person. She also has two dogs so Sister Kawasaki will be happy. If you thought I was bad about liking animals, Sister Kawasaki is worse. The funny thing? I usually win the dogs over without even trying while she tries very very hard to win them back.

Well we had a very full week. We had Interviews with President Perry on Tuesday; Trainer/Trainee on Friday; a baptism, chapel tours, and the ward Trunk-or-Treat on Saturday; and church and all the meetings connected with that on Sunday. In response to Elder Sorensen's assertion that being a missionary for Halloween is lame, I went to the Trunk-or-Treat as Sister Kawasaki and Sister Kawasaki went as me. Okay so all we did was switch name tags, but I thought it at least mildly amusing and at least a few other people did too. We thought about borrowing ties from the Elders and going as Elders but the flyer said not to cross dress, plus I don't have a white shirt--I'm always paranoid I'll spill on a white shirt. We also were able to meet some very important goals this week such as finding 4 new people to teach and getting 5 investigators to come to Sacrament Meeting. We are still woefully short on our lessons with a member present, however, so that will get much attention this week, hopefully. But our miracle investigator did get baptized on Saturday at a very nice baptism (very crowded too actually, sadly mostly with people from our ward and not from his new ward). He is still very sad about having to be in a different stake and is even considering moving. But anyway, we worked hard and had some good lessons and good things happen.

Now this week we are going to continue to work hard. On Wednesday, aka Halloween, we have to be in our apartments by 6:00 no exceptions. And we pretty much have to do extra studying. We don't have any candy to hand out either, so I hope trick-or-treaters don't hit up our apartment. On Thursday I am going on my first ever missionary exchange. I've always been too far away from other Sisters to do them before. I am going to go back up to my old area in Yuba City and work with Sister Levacy-Sabin while Sister Nielson comes down to Lincoln to work with Sister Kawasaki. They have some good lessons lined up for that day too.

I hope you all have a good week. Dad and Amy, please take good pictures of nieces and nephews in Halloween costumes and send them on!

Love,
Sister L. Sorensen

No comments: