Thursday, March 25, 2010

A Bee in My Bonnet

While out last night, I discovered that one of my classmates sorts people into Hogwarts houses (mentally) when she meets people. So we all started to ask what houses we'd been sorted into and I got Slytherin! I was incensed and when I asked why all she said is that's who you are. Most people were Ravenclaws or Hufflepuffs, and only one person was a Gryffindor besides herself. Poor Emily and I were the only Slytherins. So of course this morning, here at work, I had to look up the qualities that might indeed make me a Slytherin.
Slytherins tend to be ambitious, cunning, and achievement-oriented. They also have highly developed senses of self-preservation.[1] This means that Slytherins tend to hesitate before acting, so as to weigh all possible outcomes of a decision (and how these outcomes would personally impact them), unlike Gryffindors, whose chivalrous natures would likely lead them to react immediately and instinctively.

According to Albus Dumbledore, the qualities which Salazar valued in the students he chose included cleverness, resourcefulness, determination, and "a certain disregard for the rules." Dumbledore noted that all of these were qualities possessed by Harry Potter, who was in Gryffindor.


So what do you think? Am I a Slytherin? There certainly are some rules I disregard, but others I have a very hard time not keeping. And I don't think I have that high a sense of self-preservation. Even with all that, I am a little relieved not to be in Hufflepuff. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I were you, I would have argued her down. "I'm not at ALL resourceful: I call my parents every time I am lost and make THEM tap into THEIR resources to figure out where I am and where I ought to go! I can't leave the house without them. My mom still edits my papers!" That probably would have done it--I hope she reads your blog.

What house did the author fit into? I am really the last literate person left on earth who has not read Harry Potter?

Meg said...

I can kinda see it. I was always annoyed that the only people we ever saw in Slytherin were blatantly evil or at least the kind of people you instinctively want to punch in the feet. Sure, some of the redeemed themselves in the end, but that was very little of the 7 book whole. Also, I distrust people who put themselves into Gryffindor. I'm fairly sure I would've ended up in Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff. I'm great at finding things.

Lindsay Anne said...

Meg, I find that amusing. Oh Rumbleroar. If I'm Slytherin I'm at least claiming Alan Rickman.

Emily,I would argue that those were examples of me using my resources. And I think it would be safe to say that everyone studying children's literature should have read Harry Potter. And probably most people who work in elementary schools should as well. I'm just saying . . .

Meg said...

Emily also forgot to mention me. I am apparently just an extension of Google maps.

joojierose said...

do you really call your family when lost lindz? a fact i never knew about you - love it :)

and i will never ever forget your downtrodden, defeated statement "i'd be hufflepuff."

amazing.

and you. slytherin. totes see it. you are jack after all :)

lulu123 said...

i very much appreciate the fact that your family is totally a-ok with being nothing more than extensions of google maps...because with out them we would most likely still be wondering around rural southeastern pennsylvania with all your stuff in the back of the car.

also, you're 100% ravenclaw. come on, slytherin? you LOVE rules.

Brittmae said...

J'disagree as well. I am sorry, but do you see Crabb and Goyle out on the curling ice? No...I didn't think so.

Anonymous said...

hello, friend!
what a nice blog you have here.
and i am now infinitely curious as to what house i've been placed in!
although i have my suspicions.
sincerely yours,
jessica t