Monday, June 25, 2007

Gathering in the Sheaves

Dear Family and Friends,

So what is going on in Yuba? We are finding sheaves. At our last Zone Conference we focused on how to help members know how to have gospel conversations with the people around them. We have been using this theme for our dinner thoughts so one Sunday when it was my turn I pulled out Doctrine and Covenants 33:8-10 (well at least I think those are the verses), about how when we are willing to open our mouths the Lord will not only tell us what to say but he will--to paraphrase--put sheaves (ie of wheat, the field is white ready to harvest) on our backs. Then on Tuesday at District Meeting Elder Medwin, our District Leader, asked us to give a quick thought on OYMing. This is not my strong suit but I have been working very hard to be better about it. Well I was suitably chastened by D&C 60:2 (or maybe that was 12?), and Sister Howard and I decided to try to get 70 OYMs last week (we had very poor numbers the week before and were feeling a little down). According to Elder Ballard if we as missionaries strive to have at least 70 OYMs a week it will lead to doubling baptisms (among other efforts). So all week we tried really hard and I have to say I am improving. I am sad to report that we were only able to talk to 59 people, but it was a good effort and I know that this week we can do better. But even just from that added effort we have already been able to see some sheaves not only in our area but in the District Leader's as well. So it must work.

What else? Well we learned how to play Yahtzee from an OYM who turned out to be an ex-Mormon. Also on Saturday we had a car stand down day so we walked a LOT and then made an 8 mile round trip bike ride to our dinner appointment. Actually the bike ride was really fun my larger "hybrid" tires allowed me to keep up with Sister Howard extremely well. In fact the only complaint I have is that as soon as I get going at a good clip the skirt starts to flap. So I am beginning to perfect the art of riding with one hand on my knee. Any tips Anne or Emily? Sister Howard also taught me an elegant dismount, which I can show off in about a year. I did alas give myself blisters this week with all the walking we've been doing--it gives us more opportunities to talk to people. We have generally been walking several miles a day, more or less from 1:00-5:00 pm. And apparently when you persist to walk with little rocks in your shoes you get blisters. But we have been trying to remain hydrated, Mom, and typically drink 4+ water bottles a day plus lots of water at meals; so never fear about that.

That is right folks. I am hitting my 6 month mark next week. Now it is time to play a game which I call "Watching your life pass by with Sister Sorensen's Mission". Isn't it fun. 1/3 down, 2/3 more to talk to lots of lots of people. I better get even busier! And despite rumors to the contrary, it was absolutely no temptation for me to call home on Father's Day. Sister Howard and I both told the Doolittle's directly that we would not and only discovered later that sweet Sister Doolittle decided to call you anyway and pass along our well wishes. Speaking of the Doolittles they are taking us out to dinner at Jack in the Box tonight in my honor because I've never been there. I'll let you know how that goes next week.

Love,
Sister L. Sorensen

No comments: