Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Introducing "House"

Dear Friends and Family,

I hope that you all have had a great and productive week. I have to say that we have. Last week we spent a little bit more time inside than we had planned. We had some serious work to do in tackling the Area Book here because the Sisters had let it slide for a little while. We also had several planned hours of service which fell through. Sadly nobody in Lincoln seems to need or want our help. I stronly suspect that the fact we are wearing skirts when we offer is to blame! Other notable events? We had 4 Chapel Tours and we picked up 2 investigators. Sorry to say the two aren't directly connected. We picked up the investigators through NNCs and Tracting. But we also have been working really hard on meeting the mission standards; for instance having 2 planned appointments for each evening, having a member at every lesson possible (by planning and making phone calls before 9:00 pm the night before), and backward planning. I think things are really working out well and I've been able to help smooth out some bumps from last transfer.

Sister Mauga continues to be a completely delightful companion. In fact, I learned last week that the first part of her first name, (gasp, first names) Fale, means "house" in Samoan and that she in fact has a pet pig at home named "House" because she thought it would be funny to give him an English name. Actually House was the first person/thing she asked about when she called home. By the way, Erin, Sister Mauga wants to see the picture of that pig we saw at the sheep shearing festival if you could email me a copy. We also had some very delightful visits with ward members last week. One family in particular, the Hargadons, let us drop in and introduce Sister Mauga. They are just one of the warmest, most open and inviting, group of individuals I have ever met! They are so great and missionary minded too! I am so glad they moved into our ward last January. Our Mothers Day went well even if we had gone to the trouble of setting 3 specific appointments and all were cancelled/or moved during the day. But all the necessary phone calls home were made and at least two of the three mothers cried. I am very happy, Mom, that you did not. It would have been especially silly considering I just saw you less than two weeks ago. Otherwise things continue to go well. I suspect I may be moving next week, but President Perry and I are going to decide for sure when I see him at Zone Conference on Friday. I just can't believe this is my last Zone Conference with President and Sister Perry! That is so sad.

Oh, and here is something else I forgot to mention last week. I received a letter last Monday with the return address of the First Presidency. It was a formal re-call to the Mission. I found it a little odd that they sent it to me after I was already in the mission (it was addressed to the mission office and everything). It is a good thing I came back to the right mission after all! But now I do have a call from each of the Prophets I have served under on my mission which is rather unique.

Love,
Sister L. Sorensen

No comments: