Monday, May 19, 2008

Summer Has Arrived!

Dear Friends and Family,

How are all of you this week? Well Sister Curtis has officially survived her first four 100 + weather days. The only scary thing is that this is still mid-May and we didn't get over the hundred until July last year! It looks like this is going to be a warm summer. But, we all lived to tell about it. We wanted to ride our bikes out in the real heat--I finally got Sister Mauga and Sister Curtis to take out their bikes in our Pros on Wednesday night--but the member we lived with insisted that she's heard it was a horrible air quality day. To tell you the truth, I didn't notice any difference, but we did decide to ere on the safe side and took our car.

We had a pretty neat experience on Tuesday. We were pretty late getting out to the street we'd planned to tract, so we only had about 40 minutes to tract. Then it didn't seem like anyone was home. The first several houses we knocked didn't even have any noises to respond. But then Sister Curtis knocked on a door and an older Indian (or East Indian as everyone says out here) lady opened the door. At first it didn't seem like she understood us at all, but Sister Curtis cheerfully continued on. Then when we thought she was going to say "No," she told us she wasn't interested but she thought her daughter would be and invited us in to sit and wait. Her daughter came down and was actually really open and we taught a very simple first lesson from our pamphlet (only about 5 minutes) and set up a return appointment. It's been a long time since I've gotten into a tracting door to teach. The whole family has only been here for just under a year, and the lady we're going to be teaching has a pretty strong accent and it sounds as though she's been Hindu her whole life and the only Christian tradition is some brief familiarity with Catholicism. But she did say she knew Christ was the Son of God and had lived and she like to learn about all kinds of religions; in fact she even committed herself to come to church next week. This should be a good teaching experience for the Sisters. They'll have to teach very simply at first, but that is good practice too. The only problem would be that they both had a hard time understanding Pinky--I didn't and I believe I understand a little bit more of her religious background than they did. So we're looking for a good strong fellowshipper from the ward to help out.

Friday was our last Zone Conference with the Perry's. It was actually a very good conference, but I was so sad! I just love President and Sister Perry so much and I can't believe they are going to leave before me! I'll admit I even cried as they gave their farewell testimonies (they did too, however) much to the surprise of all my former companions. Sunday was Stake Conference and we had a visiting General Authority, Elder John C. Dalton of the Seventy. There were some stellar talks including one from an 11-year-old boy who was asked to talk about preparing for a the priesthood and a mission. I was really sad none of our investigators made it to such a great meeting!

And as for the last news I am packing up and moving down to Orangevale tomorrow. I expect to be there for the rest of this transfer at least. It sounds like I may be getting more experience on my bike, too! So that should be fun.

Love,
Sister L. Sorensen

No comments: