Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Curiouser and Curiouser

Remember back a few months ago when my technology was systematically revolting? Well I thought I'd settled that all down: I learned how to trick Jasper into obeying me, I replaced my old external hard drive, I even managed to get my cell phone Napoleon to comply. But then this week I discovered the ultimate betrayal. My gmail account (well one of them) has been selectively not delivering very important emails from my TA. Et tu Brute? Now that both my TA and I have figured this out we should be able to work around it, but I am still reeling from the shock. What could possibly happen next? Is my tv going to fall on me and my DVD player spit DVDs mockingly into my face? Or will I simply be sealed inside a T tomb? I probably should not have given the technology any good ideas. Hopefully the keyboard does not have a collective consciousness.

On a completely different note, I just finished The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams for my Writing for Children class. I read the entire thing straight through--not a single break. If you knew how much I had to drink this afternoon/evening that would be more impressive to you. I was majorly skeptical at first because it's about a girl in a polygamous cult in a desert who has just found out she is going to be forced to become her sixty-year-old uncle's seventh wife. And it was written by someone in Utah, hmmmm. But I was quickly riveted and became deeply invested. I'd say it's worth a read.

Tomorrow I'm going to read Keesha's House by Helen Frost and Toning the Sweep by Angela Johnson. (You know, in case you feel like reading along and living my life with me. If you really want I can tell you which text books I'll be reading this week too).

2 comments:

joojierose said...

man alive our grad school reading is worlds apart. haha - then i got to thinking what brittany must be reading in law school and paused to reflect on the awesomeness of the bonds of our friendships despite such disparities.

love you lots. i'm coming to boston soon.

Melanie Burk said...

ha... I agree with Jooj. Meanwhile I sit here and analyze typefaces, and the covers of those books. hmm.. and about technology revolting against you- I know- who knew gmail could be such a traitor? My power was cut out yesterday- so I feel you, I will have to call you and catch you up.