Monday, September 7, 2009

Similes and cities

Dunkin' Donuts is to Boston what 7-11 is to Copenhagen.

It's one of the very first things I noticed when I got here two long weeks ago. There is almost literally one on every block, well at least at every shopping center. Sometimes there are two or three to a street. It's like that old joke about Starbucks being across the street from one another. I noticed a similar proclivity to 7-11s when I literally walked Copenhagen back in 2005 (they were practically on every corner).

So now I'm asking you to brush up those SAT skills and answer a question.
Dunkin' Donuts is to Boston as _______________ is to (your town of residence).

The difference between me and the SAT is I'm not giving you multiple choice answers. But do answer, I want to know.

6 comments:

joojierose said...

i hate to say it but it's the same in nyc. starbucks and dunkin donuts are probably tied for their ubiquity.

yuck.

Melanie Burk said...

mine would be this: dunkin donuts are to Boston as married couples are to provo.... or pregnant woman for that matter. I am a dime a dozen.

lulu123 said...

dunkin' donuts are to boston as black escalades are to poway.

Amy-Alisa said...

...as BMWs and Mini Coopers are to West Chester. Or Wawas, there are a lot of those too (a local kind of gas station).

Cari said...

Dunkin Donuts are to Boston as HEB grocery stores are to San Antonio. We seriously only have one "grocery store chain" other than Super Walmart/Target in San Antonio. Get this...HEB stands for Herbert E Butts, oh man.

Brittmae said...

as lifted pickups are to North Idaho

as unnaturally-geometrically-shaped hair is to Utah

and as gelato shopps are to Italy (ali knows)