Thursday, February 25, 2010

Illustrators

Due to the project I am in the middle of (30 papers down, 20 to go), I have a love hate relationship going on with picturebooks and their illustrators. I loath them on principle, but there are some that despite having written or having to write nitty-gritty-pick-apart-their-pictures analyses about their works I just can't quite hate. And in due procrastinating fashion I thought I had better share them with you all. Lucky ducks.

Perennial favorites (ie I have enjoyed them for years)
  1. Kevin Henkes. I love the mice stories, even if after Crit I'll never read Chester's Way quite the same, and his other works are great too.
  2. Chris Van Allsburg. I think Allsburg perfected his style. Seriously, coming from an experienced analyst here, his pictures are spot on.
  3. David Weisner. I was very familiar with Tuesday, but his Sector 7 was new to me and so fun and whimsical (though I did think of the "Up" short).
  4. Lane Smith. He and Jon Scieszka make a compelling team of crazy (True Story of the Three Little Pigs, Stinky Cheeseman, Cowboy and Octopus), but even without Jon I enjoy his work (John, Paul, George & Ben). Plus he does every book with his wife who is his designer and that's just cute.
New to me (dating to the beginning of my program)
  1. Marla Frazee. There's something familiar and fresh about her work at the same time. All I know is if I had to pick an illustrator for Oliver's Odd Obsession (henceforward OOO) she'd be shortlisted. Her figures have so much energy and character.
  2. Emily Gravett. Granted I only read two of her books, but another great, lively figurest. And Wolves alone was filled with so much metafictional goodness that she's also on my OOO shortlist.
  3. Mini Grey. Maybe it's because she was named after a Mini Cooper (apparently she was born in one), but I was charmed by both Ginger Bear and Traction Man. If the two above can't do OOO, Mini's on my list. I love quirkiness.
  4. Jon Muth. I read Zen Ties and The Three Questions, which are very different from one another. One has lovable pandas and the other was just captivating. He definitely intrigued me.
  5. Bagram Ibatoulline. If you need a recommendation, he did Lois Lowry's picturebook. Ordinarily authors have very little say over who illustrates their works and how they do so, but I bet Lowry got to give some "suggestions." His Hana in the Time of the Tulips was gorgeous Dutch painting-esque and Animal Hedge was also beautiful. Plus there's something about the name. . .
  6. David Macaulay. He likes to mess about with things and make his stories twisty mental exercises. I can get down with that.
  7. Angela Barrett. I read two of her biographies: Anne Frank and Joan of Arc. The Anne Frank, which is such a familiar story, was haunting. I'd say her style is very suited to biographies.
  8. Rachel Isadora. For those looking for a little more ethnic diversity, I preferred Isadora to Brian Pinkney (though he was interesting), Christopher Myers, and Brian Collier.
  9. David Shannon. Now he surprised me, I had read his No, David and didn't care for creepy pointed teeth and disobedient children. That said, I picked up his A Bad Case of Stripes and was entranced. So cool.
  10. Shaun Tan. Now if you're looking for trippy yet flawlessly executed stuff, look no further. Tan's your man. There really are no words (at least in The Arrival that is very literally true).
Okay people you're now set for your children's shopping this year. I'm glad someone can benefit from my pain (besides Charlestown library branch's circulation stats).

2 comments:

Lisa and Mark said...

oh my gosh, i LOOVE david shannon. have you read "alice the fairy?" so cute.

lulu123 said...

i'm coming to you for every gift i buy my niece ad nephew for the rest of my life.