Monday, May 17, 2010

The Redcoats are Coming


The weather has been so lovely lately that today I decided to meet up with my friend and classmate on Boston Common where she was nannying. We had a grand old time and I stayed there as she ran her charge to preschool. So I spread out a blanket on the grass and was writing when lo and behold, what do I see? A redcoat walking up and down on the stretch of grass before me chatting on his cell phone. Yes, I realize he was almost undoubtedly a tour guide, but watching a man with a tri-corner hat, white breetches, satchel, brass buttons, and the whole kit and kaboodle casually talking on his phone was too funny. I'm really sad I didn't have my camera on me.

On another note, I went to a fireside last night during which the speaker told us, in illustrating a point that demographers say 85% of the world's population has lived since 1820. That staggered me, and even now I'm still not sure whether I can believe it. Is that even possible? I may need to know/learn more . . .


Finally, I assure you this is the last time I will use that joke while living in Boston--after that time, I make no promises.

1 comment:

lulu123 said...

are you sure there wasn't a hole somewhere in the time space continuum? because that's a viable possibility in my opinion...