Tuesday, July 27, 2010

It is a truth universally acknowledged

Back when we got channels like USA, my roommate and I saw previews for a new show called "Covert Affairs." It's about a new female agent who works as a spy--okay, okay operative--for the CIA. That sounds strangely familiar, no? Well it didn't matter. I didn't have the channel and certainly wouldn't be watching it so I put it from my mind. Then my roommate went out of town, watched the show, and wrote on my Facebook wall to say she'd enjoyed it. So while I was crocheting yesterday I pulled it up on Hulu and watched the first two episodes--using Hulu and watching female spies counters the old lady-ness of crocheting, you see.

While thankfully there was no mention of aRambaldi and the main character has yet to demonstrate severe daddy issues, I noticed some similarities to my favorite female spy on television.



It seems that all female spies:
  • have strong/square jaw lines
  • have dimples
  • wear a surprising amount of make up
  • insist on wearing their hair down whilst fist fighting and other spy-type hijinks
  • don't smile. Duh. Spying is a serious business.
  • have an innate ability to speak many important languages, including Russian.
  • begin their shows with traumas involving ill-fated love affairs.
I guess that means I can't be a spy because I would totally put my hair in a ponytail.

I did enjoy the show though. But what's not to enjoy about spies?

3 comments:

Meg said...

Whatshisface, the blind handler guy (Augy?) is hands-down my favorite character right now. And yes, I also noticed the similarity to Alias. Fingers crossed that nothing resembling Rambaldi is ever mentioned.

Amy-Alisa said...

Do you like 'Chuck'? Love it.

Brittmae said...

Ha..I was wondering about this show..I heard a review about it and it seemed okay...but I have special memories of Alias and what can and cannot replace it. Most importantly-- is there a Vaughn?