Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Peer Pressure

The blank walls in my room have been judging me ever since I moved in. Approximately one year ago. Today they broke through the barrier in my brain that has hitherto successfully kept them on the way, way, way, way back burner. So, sitting here at work in my still-rain-soaked pants, I started to browse Amazon, then Etsy for things I could buy and hang on my wall.

At first I thought I wanted England things, because, you know, I love England and technically I am sort of English. And then I thought maybe I want to go a literary route. I found some interesting woodblocks by an artist who seems to do some sort of decoupage using significant pages from classic works of literature (including some from Anne of Green Gables, Little Women, and Pride Prejudice. Favorite stories all.) and thought those might be interesting. Then for a wild moment I thought, hey I could make some of those. But then, just then, I searched under "children's literature" because that is what I'm studying after all and . . .

I fell in love with some work from illustrator Kate Slater. She's from England and she had some neat posters/prints.



(a P&P poster after all)


But then I remembered how much I loved Emma Block's illustrations. You know, the ones that I may or may not have "borrowed" for my Publishing project a couple months ago. Aren't they fantastic? (She's also British).





So here we have the best of both worlds, right? Children's literature + England. And I love the look of these pieces. So fun, so fresh, so colorful. Perfect for my judgmental walls. The problem is though that neither artist was really selling precisely the perfect things in their Etsy shops, but both have options for maybe commissioning work.

So, I thought to myself, mayhaps I'll give me a nice Birthday & Christmas present and see if I can get them to make me the absolutely perfect print(s) to hang in my room. But if I'm going for a commissioned work, what should I commission and who should I commission it from? What do you think?



Yes, I should still be writing
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

SWOONING over the Heathcliffe passage on wood. Also, I love the papercuts...paper cut artists are genius. Case in point: http://www.petercallesen.com/index/A4PAPERCUT_000.htm

Amy-Alisa said...

I am so not the person to give any kind of decorating advice, so I won't, but I will say that all of those look amazing.