Saturday, August 7, 2010

Spectator Sports

Last week I decided it was high time I did as the Romans did--or, in my case, the New Englanders.

To that end, I bought tickets to a Red Sox game. What? you say. That doesn't sound like Lindsay. Too true, sports fan is not generally a characteristic associated with yours truly. Being a spectator, however, is something I very much enjoy. (I will and have spectated a good many things, Parliament sessions, awkward church dances, munch and mingle flirting . . . ).

So, to Fenway I ventured with my Mexican friend and her sister in tow.
And while as soon as the game began I realized the vast majority of my baseball knowledge comes from movies (no crying, check), we had a very enjoyable time. It helped that the Sox pulled out a bottom of the ninth triple play for the win over the Detroit Tigers. Thanks for that, Big Papi.

Now a Sox game is hard to beat both in terms of New England-ness and spectatorship. So it was a real challenge to think up with something to do this Saturday. Luckily, my roommate came up with the perfect solution: whale watching-->even bigger spectating (cue an onslaught of pictures because I actually had my camera with me this week).

My stunning viewing companions aboard the Voyager 3

Firefly or Firefly's calf. Or maybe it was Midnight. Or Midnight's calf. It's kind of hard to tell just from the whale's back.

Interesting sidenote, some whales, like Firefly, have nannies. I'm pretty sure its because they live off of Cape Cod.

A whale of a tail. Though don't ask me which whale's.

Sailboats in Massachusetts Bay. Very New England.

Back home in good Ole Boston.


Thanks for spectating my spectatorship!

2 comments:

Amy-Alisa said...

Sounds awesome. Baseball is much more fun in person, I think. Whale watching sounds fun, but might be more waiting than watching, don't know.

Anonymous said...

I think I might enjoy a three-inning game. I wonder if I could get them to think about shortening the game?