Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Turkeys, Rats and Winter Coats




Dear Friends and Family,

I have to admit I rather panicked today when I realized I have approximately 28 weeks left on my mission. I really need to buckle down and get to work. But in the meantime I'll give you an update of our week. Well I had my first Thanksgiving in the field with the firm expectation that I was not going to be able to eat anything. Even as I sat down with my plate of food I was completely nauseous, but then the miracle of tylenol kicked in and after eating I finally felt much better than I had all week! We also had the excellent fortune to be able to eat dinner with a family where the cook also did not care for pumpkin pie and so I avoided having to subject myself to being forcefed my 2nd least favorite pie (the first being mincemeat pie). Okay, so I doubt they would have forcefed me, but I have a hard time telling people no when they get so excited about foods they've taken the effort to make for us. Sister Kawasaki's thoughts on her first Thanksgiving experience: I ate too much.

Aside from Thanksgiving we had some other interesting exploits this week. We rode our bikes over to do service for a less active family whose landlord's surprise visit landed them in some hot water. What do people let Sisters do for service? Clean. So whilst Sister Kawasaki and I were taking Miracle Erasers to the walls and lysol wipes to the baseboards who should come out to inspect our job but their pet rat. While I admit I don't have any qualms about the rat, I even held it on our last visit, it was very much getting in the way of optimal cleaning. So I had to keep sliding it across the floor in the opposite direction from myself. But that did not satisfy the curious rat, and so I found myself with a curious climbing sensation along my back as I continued to work away at the pantry door, until I realized that I was now cleaning with the rat on my head. If only I had a picture. That actually didn't bother me, aside from the slight fear of him doing what rodents tend to do when you're holding them and making my progress a little slower. I did draw the line, however, when he started to climb up my pant leg!

We also had a distinct change in the weather this week. Several mornings I've actually been cold (Sister Kawasaki has been sleeping with 4 blankets on her bed for weeks now), and Sunday when we went to church it was in the upper 50s. I keep trying to convince Sister Kawasaki that this really isn't even winter weather yet--it was 62 today when she said "Oh, its winter!" but to little avail. This from the girl who didn't even bring a coat to the mission, was cold in Provo in September, and whose coat--when it did arrive--is really only a jacket. I forsee many cold days to come; for her at least.

Here are some pictures at last! One is of Sister Kawasaki, Sister Fultz, and I at the start of this transfer (we had a third companion for a day because Sister Fultz's companion was going home). The second is of Eric, who was our miracle baptism for October.

Love,
Sister L. Sorensen

No comments: