Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Countdown

Dear Family and Friends,

No, no, there is no need to worry. I am not getting trunky ("missionary" for mentally already have bags packed and are just thinking about home). No my friends this countdown is the countdown to see if Sister Sorensen gets Mononucleosis. So let's back up and see how this happened. And don't be disappointed, there was no kissing involved.

Last Tuesday, my last day with Sister Rollins, we headed back into Rocklin to go to the doctor for what we thought was an ordinary visit telling her she was getting better. But she came out with the doorprize of a positive diagnosis for Mono (nobody knows how she got it), lucky girl. She was told that she would need to spend a minimum of 2 weeks inside and that she couldn't go ANYWHERE. Well, I thought to myself, Sister Methot--her new companion--won't like that. Then we packed all of her massive amount of luggage into Sister Evans car and headed up to Yuba City where we were meeting Sister Methot and I was picking up my new companion. Her name, by the way, is Sister Curtis and she is from Pleasant Grove, UT.

Tuesday morning I got a call from Sister Craner the "head mission nurse." I guess Sister Perry got super nervous about Sister Rollins having Mono since it is very contagious and we were in very close contact for so long , so she asked Sister Craner to look into it. Well basically I have 4-6 weeks to see whether or not I will come down with it. Personally, I'm not worrying too much about it because there really isn't anything I can do! Either I got it and I'll come down with it sometime this transfer, or I didn't and I'll finish out my mission no problem. But it does make for fun jokes for at least the next 5 weeks. But, the story continues. President Perry called Salt Lake to talk about Sister Rollins's diagnosis and it turns out that it is church policy to send missionaries with Mono home IMMEDIATELY. So Sister Rollins flew home Thursday morning and I inherited a third companion and a second ward . . . in a second stake. So the three of us are currently serving in the Dry Creek ward in Antelope Stake as well as the Lincoln 2nd ward in Rocklin. The perks? The APs gave us unlimited miles since we have to drive back and forth between the two areas (it's a 40 minute commute). Plus I don't have to worry about the fact that I've almost entirely tracted out the Lincoln 2nd ward because now I have Antelope to tract too! Oh, and I get an awesome third companion. Sister Methot is very on top of things. This does mean, however, that we are living out of Antelope currently because our room at Mary's wasn't big enough. Plus, I think we might be moving out of Mary's house soon. So send all mail through the mission office. I repeat, SEND ALL MAIL THROUGH THE MISSION OFFICE.

I hope you all have a great week! Here's hoping I don't have mono and end my mission early!

Love,
Sister L. Sorensen

PS For those of you who are concerned about Sister Rollins, she does have an open call and can return to the mission when she gets better. I, however, will not have time to finish out my mission if I have to go home as my deferment from BYU ends in Fall 2008.

No comments: