Sunday, April 11, 2010

Ward Talent Show Entourage

I know what you're thinking after that last post--Lindsay is really invested in her hair ribbons--but that was all just filler to prepare for the big event: the Ward Talent Show.

Now I'm not really the participating type when it comes to Ward Talent Shows (other than sitting in the audience), but this year I happily fulfilled a supporting role. You could even say I made the talent show. Well if you were in a generous mindframe. Anyway, my roommate Alex is the participating type, and she signed up to sing a song in the Talent Show as soon as it was announced. Then two weeks ago, in a fit of boredom, she wrote a Twilight Musical parody and mused over the idea of performing it instead of one of her "standard" songs. It was clever so I told her she should, and then repeated this edict every day as she vacillated back and forth.

Saturday night the musical was indeed performed, and I just happened to be sitting in the front row so I could get a recording of it (unfortunately I was a little too near the piano and the previous act took to cleaning up his equipment throughout, in case you're wondering who the non-named guy walking around is). This recording was done on my digital camera, so it's not the highest quality, but it's the best I've got.

Her performance was critically acclaimed, she is now officially established as one of the funniest girls in the ward, and she has therefore appointed me to her entourage. I do what I can.

Enjoy the fruit of our diverse labors. (In it's entirety it is only about ten minutes long, I had to cut it in pieces so I could upload it).



Act One: Bella



Act Two: Edward



Act Three: Jacob

I thought Alex's lyrics really were quite clever and my sound quality quite poor, so I'm going to post them in the comments if you want to read them in full.

3 comments:

Lindsay Anne said...

"POPULAR" (Parody of song of same title from "Wicked")

BELLA:
I moved from Arizona to live here with my dad
Washington is gloomy. I’m lonely and I’m sad.
I miss my friends back at my old school.
I’m a mopey adolescent
Feeling far from effervescent.
And yet, somehow, my classmates think I’m cool.
And even though I fall
Every time I try to catch a ball
I’ve captured
I’ve enraptured every boy
I’m the new toy
I’m so annoying
Yet I’m…
Popular
I’m strangely popular
Even though I’m so pale
And at gym I fail
Every boy in school has asked me out.
Except for Edward Cullen
So I will just sit and pout
(Sigh)
Whine…Whine…Whine…Whine…
Don't know why I'm popular
(Gasp)
Look at that amazing creature’s
Chiseled, alabaster features
Like a teen Adonis but he’s
Kind of scary
Sometimes I think he adores me
Other times he just ignores me
Maybe he’s a bit bipolar
But I don’t care!
He’s so--


"GLITTER AND BE DEAD" (Parody of "Glitter and be Gay" from "Candide")

EDWARD
And here I am
Forced...to glitter
Forced...to be dead
Glitter and be dead
Yes, that’s what I said.
I’m a creature oh, so vile
Forced to have no soul…
What a sordid role
I am such a demon
Been seventeen for quite a while
Alas, In World War One, I had the flu, oh what a bother
Was doomed to be a casualty
‘til I gained immortality
By my adoptive father
Ah, ‘twas not to be
Immortality
Fills me with such strong chagrin
Wish that I could die
Here I sit and cry
AAAAAAAHHHH!
That is why I’m brooding
Seething from within
And yet somehow I found myself to revel--ha, ha!
My topaz eyes have found themselves ablaze--ha, ha…
You are an angel, yet I am the devil--ha ha!
Your blood has gotten me into a craze!


"SOMEONE LIKE YOU" (Parody of song with same title from "Jekyll and Hyde")

EDWARD
I have a volvo

JACOB
I'm, well, too young to drive

EDWARD
Our love's eternal

JACOB
But I'm alive
This vampire fling of yours
Is doomed to fail
You’ll see, Team Jacob will prevail!
Bella, I’m here
To make it clear
That when someone like you
Dates someone like him
It’s unhealthy, self-destructive
And just isn’t meant to be
But I love who you are
And I built you a car
So Bella, come on, pick me!
I have a secret
I want to share
I’ll grow some muscles
And cut my hair
You’re not that into me
But you’ll see soon
I too, can make the ladies swoon
Their hearts will change
When they see “New Moon”
In a year you will learn
The tables, they turn
You’ll want someone
Who doesn’t sparkle in the sun
One day you will see
When I hit puberty!
That a girl like you
Could…Love…Me!

lulu123 said...

oh i wish i could hear the audio better-as it is i love the lyrics! unfortunately i'm not as familiar with the melodies of the last two songs...oh be still my vampire heart.

Amy-Alisa said...

Very clever and fun.