Sunday, February 8, 2009

At least I'm not Aughra yet

I'm not exactly sure when it happened, but this week I realized that I've become a podling.



No, not exactly in a Dark Crystal kind of way. Though here's a brief side note. Last semester when I used Labyrinth as an example for our EFR demos I discovered that both The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth were extremely disturbing movies to many of the people in our generation. I, on the other hand, have never been afraid of or disturbed by either of them--even when I was a child. What does that say about me?

Anyway, what I really mean is that I've become one of those people who will walk up to or around campus with earbuds firmly in place. When, how, and why did this happen? I can still recall wandering about as a freshman and wondering why 64% of the student body went about plugged into their ipods, 34% were talking on cell phones, and the remaining 2% were just clueless. Even once I got my cell phone and occassionally found myself walking and talking I took comfort that I at least was doing a participatory activity. Alas, now I too have fallen prey to the convenience of the ipod. Well, I justify and rationalize, at least I'm often listening to books on CD/ipod. At least that's educational, right? Hopefully, now that I'm aware of this penchant, I wont end up like this.



Another quick thought. I think that Apple and Google are slowly taking over the country and perhaps even the world. I mean I for one, and I think I am probably representative of many, never read what I agree to when I'm downloading a new version of iTunes or things off of google. As far as I know I've already signed away my first twenty children. However, I think that far from being upset we'll all be excited when they finally announce themselves to the world. The brightside? At least we'll all get naptime like the google employees do now. I can live with a world like that.

2 comments:

joojierose said...

naptime?!

Lindsay Anne said...

I don't think you have to take a nap, but you are allowed to.