Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Incidentally, the post-y items I should have written, but neglected

I am working an internship on campus this semester that apparently I have neglected to inform many people about. That's about it really. I edit 10 hours a week for Intercultural Outreach, a program through the Kennedy Center that publishes CultureGuides on various countries so elementary and high school students can learn more about them. By the way, did you know that in Germany breakfast is the first meal of the day? Those tricky Germans. (that is a paraphrase of an actual sentence in the CultureGuide I am currently working on. Needless to say I changed that one around a bit as I think even elementary school kids could have ascertained as much).

I am still working 20 hours a week in the computer lab. I also am working on an independent computer project for a faculty member this semester that requires a minimum of 6 hours every week and is completely unpaid. Also I took my first freelance editing job this week.

Last Friday while I was trying to stay awake during a sitar demonstration I was attending (it really was interesting, just my early morning schedule this semester + the end of the week means I'm pretty tired Friday afternoons) I tried to calculate how many hours a week I am obligated to church, school, work, internship, etc... then I added in my new workout schedule, temple attendance, and other worthy if time exhaustive events. I think I got to just over 100 without considering sleep or food preparations, but then I lost track.

Oh yeah, I have a new church calling this semester. Apparently in this ward they release everyone at the end of each semester--even if you're staying in the ward--and issue new callings. I'm a Relief Society teacher and I'm really loving it. It's a nice little bookend to my college experience, as the last time I was a Relief Society teacher was Freshman year in what I still refer to as "Practice Relief Society."

It turns out I have a very steady hand and innate skill for torching Creme Brulee. I meant Creme Brulee to be in the plural, but I don't know what the correct plural form is because its French. Though, as I told several people at the Creme Brulee event, Creme Brulee isn't french at all. It was invented by the English cooks at Oxford where traditionally it came from the fruits of yeomen who had skimmed the cream off of their overlord's cows' milk. Somewhat ashamed at the sneak thievery of its origins, however, they gave it a french name to make it sound more legitimate. And if you were wondering, clotted cream isn't really English. It came from the Middle East with the tin merchants a long, long time ago. Which could lead me off on a tangent about Christ's supposed family in England and Henry VIII's legitimacy as a soveriegn and an evangelical leader, but I'll spare you.

1 comment:

Lisa and Mark said...

hahahhaa. "practice relief society..."