Saturday, February 28, 2009

Is it just me?


Okay I've been pondering this all semester, but I am at a complete loss. What's the point of Daylight Savings time? Maybe Indiana and Arizona have had a point all along. And perhaps this is coming to greater significance as I am nearing that one day of the year where I lose yet another hour of sleep--but this time completely unproductively (okay that does assume that my late nights here at college are always productive, which may be a bit of a leap).

But no, really, I've been thinking about this. No matter what, in winter it's dark a lot. That's kind of the nature of the beast--or rather the earth's orbit of the sun. So even if we did wake up an hour earlier and it was darker that much longer in the morning at least it would theoretically be lighter for another hour in the evening. And I don't feel that a moved hour of light would really have a great affect on our agriculture, since they really are getting the exact same amount of light. And for all those "I hate waking up when it's dark" people, I think we should just go 1930s-40s Britain and tell them resolutely that they musn't grumble, stiff upper lip, and all that. Let's just save all of us the confusion and hassle of changing clocks, schedules, et cetera and not change back next November. We'll just take the hit and move our lives to an hour earlier and the farmers will still get all their essential light needs.

The only potential flaw I see with this plan is that somewhere, somehow we may have an extra hour floating around in the cosmos. But I'm sure you'll all agree that we can put that hour to good use to procrastinate when we hit the real, metaphorical eleventh hour. Probably at the point I'll have some housecleaning that still needs to get done.

Who's with me? We have congressmen (okay, congresspeople, sheesh) to write, so let's get busy.

No comments: