Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Mind Games

Here's a confession in homage to my friend Ali and her recent "Secrets" blogpost and in conjunction with one of mine a few back:

sometimes I wait to make sure I have comments before I post anything new.

And sometimes I'm just too lazy or too busy and therefore do not post anything new. I guess you'll have to decide which it is.

Now its up to you whether I'm the one playing the games or you are.


Though on a related note, during the past few weeks I've found myself conducting informal behavioral studies on the people around me. For instance what will my roommate do if I put my milk in "her spot" in the refrigerator? The answer yes, but the wrong roommates. One of our other roommates (which one is unknown) moved things around until everything was in the right place. If I leave a hint on the whiteboard about our floor needing to be mopped and how I cleaned other parts of the kitchen, what will happen? Someone erased the note and nobody mopped the floor (I might have, but its not my turn). If I leave the purple chair at the Lab Assistant's desk will the next attendant change it for the green one? The other female attendant leaves the purple chair there (or if the green one is there switches it for the purple), the male attendants all switch to/for the green chair.

Curious behaviors.

I also took the opportunity today to reflect on social conditioning. I would say that on BYU campus we have a 70% habitual compliance to St. Patrick's day (in terms of people wearing green). Off the dissenters over 60% are male. What does this mean? Are males just more disobedient, simply put less thought into what they wear, or are they less aware of calendars/holidays? Still, 70% is still quite a large compliance rate. I'm beginning to get ideas about what could be accomplished with social conditioning and someone with enough patience to wait for a good 20 years . . .



And finally, I'm experimenting with justified (in terms of alignment) posts. What are your thoughts? Do you have a preference?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I detest justification.