Monday, March 23, 2009

Technology Tantrums

Well I'm not quite sure what I've done to anger the technology gods, but I've noticed a consistent plague of technology related schizophrenia--almost on a plagues of Egypt scale.

It began with the mysterious non-functioning external hard drive. Yes, the one that refused to work for me all semester then worked for Dad in about 5 minutes, and then promptly quit functioning after I returned to Utah. And it has progressed from there.

The second noticeable culprit was Jasper--my new laptop. Despite having been purchased at the exact same time as Meg's and being the exact same make and model, Jasper has a few personality quirks. In fact, Jasper frequently behaves very much like a two-year-old: he is a selective listener when it comes to voice commands, he tells bad knock-knock jokes, he hates to go to sleep, and he is especially troublesome when I'm in public.

Then my cell phone developed low self-esteem. I could charge it all night long and it would have full bars until I began talking to someone. At which point it would panic, absolutely certain it did not have enough power to continue, drop the call I was on and turn itself off. And it just kept working itself up and getting worse and worse.

I thought the preemptive strike I took against the old phone would end the string of unfortunate events, oh how wrong I was. It turns out that my other disobedient technology must be teaching my new phone some bad habits. At first I thought it was simply that I was not used to the "touch" technology and that was why it would call someone of its own volition every once in a while. Apparently this bolstered its confidence because lately I've noticed that it began to add random recipients to certain text messages. Clearly this was funny because it has also started not delivering messages for hours at a time or sending repeat messages in quick succession.

So if you have suffered any communication anomalies from one or the other of my technological lifelines, there's no need to worry about me--I'm just in the middle of coups. I am, however, masterminding a counterstrike, so be ready to be enlisted if the need arises.

My sincerest apologies for any inconvenience the current insurgence may have caused.

5 comments:

Meg said...

Count me in for the counterstrike. I do love to put me down some insurgencies.

Meg said...

Also, I like the statue of the Castle in the Sky robot.

Erin said...

Sounds horrible and frustrating. Good luck!

Lindsay Anne said...

Erin, it's actually not overly frustrating, I like a challenge.

joojierose said...

maybe your best photo choices of all time. you are fabulous.